Mushroom Beef Burgers
Sunday, February 4, 2018
Serving Size: 1 patty
Prep Time: 15 minutes; Cooling Time: 1 hour 20 minutes; Cook Time: 10 minutes; Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
· 2 pounds (approximately 10 cups) mushrooms – white, shiitake, crimini or a combination
· 2 pounds lean ground beef
· ½ cup finely chopped onion
· 1 teaspoon salt
· ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
· 2 egg whites
1. Chop the mushrooms into small pieces. This can be done in a food processor. You want them small but not a paste.
2. Cook the mushrooms in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat until no more moisture remains. Approximately 6 minutes.
3. Cool the mushrooms for 30 minutes off the heat. You can put them in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
4. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, and then add the mushrooms.
5. Form into 8 patties. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
6. Cook the burgers in a skillet with vegetable oil over medium-high heat, or grill them over medium-high heat, approximately 5-6 minutes on each side. Cook to an internal temperature of at least 160 º F.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
· Serving Size: 1 patty; Vegetables: 1¼ cups; Fruits: 0 cups; Calories: 143 calories; Carbohydrates: 4 grams; Fiber: 1 gram; Protein: 18 grams; Fat: 6 grams; Sodium: 538 mg